Friday, January 23, 2009

Grief Help

I have debated for a couple of weeks now whether or not to share this, but I have decided that if I can even help just one person, it is worth it to bare my soul. The funeral home/cemetery where Grant is buried is holding an eight week class called "Grief Recovery". Since Kris has to work during the time it is held, I have been going alone. However, there is a handbook for the class and he is able to read the assignments when he comes home. So far, it is going quite well, and we have learned things about grief that we never knew before. I would like to share some of this with you; and though you may not need this information now, you will most likely need it in the future.

At some point, we are all going to experience loss. There are over 40 losses a person can experience in his/her lifetime. It could be the loss of a pet, divorce, loss of a loved one through death, or even a loss of a friendship. The information we are learning in this class is geared toward all of these losses. If you think about it, none of us really knows much about grief, or how to deal with it. That being said, I am going to share my grief journey with you, and my hope and prayer is that we can all come out of this better prepared to help someone in the future.

There are two instructors for this class- they are a very sweet married couple who have had their share of losses. Mark is actually a bereavement counselor for a hospice program here in our city; he is a member of the Association of American Christian Counselors. Along with his wife, Patti, their mission is to help everyone they can through the grieving process. Please feel free to check out Mark's website at www.grief-help.com Here you will find various articles and information about dealing with loss or how to help someone you know who has suffered a loss.

I know that I speak for Kris when I say we covet your prayers daily. As with any trial, there are good days and bad days. However, we are determined to turn something horrible into something good so that our son did not die in vain. We want to share how God is going to bring us through this so that we might be better people for Him.

Please check back - I will be posting more on this subject very soon. Have a blessed weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts with us. Thank you!